Want to learn how to find cheaper auto insurance rates in San Antonio, TX? San Antonio drivers have many options when trying to find the best price on Honda Clarity insurance. They can either waste time calling around to compare prices or utilize the internet to make rate comparisons. There is a better way to shop for auto insurance and you need to know the proper way to quote coverages for a new or used Honda and obtain the best price possible from San Antonio insurance agents and online providers.
It’s an obvious assumption that auto insurance companies don’t want you to look for cheaper rates. Drivers who shop around for cheaper rates will probably buy a new policy because of the good chance of finding lower prices. Remarkably, a study showed that people who regularly compared rates saved $3,450 over four years compared to those who never shopped around for lower prices.
If finding the best rates on insurance in San Antonio is your objective, learning how to shop and compare cheaper coverage can help make the process easier and more efficient.
It is always a good idea to check auto insurance prices before your next renewal because rates change quite often. Just because you found the best rate on Honda Clarity insurance in San Antonio a couple years back other companies may now be cheaper. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about auto insurance because it’s time to teach you how to use online quotes to find lower rates on auto insurance.
Insurance Premium Influencing Factors
Many factors are used when pricing auto insurance. Some are obvious such as your driving record, but some are not quite as obvious such as your marital status or your commute time. A large part of saving on auto insurance is knowing some of the elements that play a part in calculating the level of your policy premiums. When consumers understand what determines premiums, this allows you to make good choices that may result in big savings.
The items below are just a few of the factors utilized by car insurance companies to help set your rate level.
- Lower coverage deductibles cost more – The deductibles represent how much money you are willing to pay if a covered claim is submitted. Physical damage coverage, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, insures against damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered are colliding with a stationary object, damage from fire, and damage caused by road hazards. The more damage repair cost you choose to pay out-of-pocket, the better rate you will receive.
- Cheaper prices for prior coverage – Having an insurance coverage lapse is a guaranteed way to drive up your policy premiums. And not only will your rates increase, not being able to provide proof of insurance could result in fines and jail time. You may have to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Texas department of motor vehicles.
- Having a spouse brings a discount – Having a wife or husband can actually save you money compared to being single. Having a spouse generally demonstrates drivers are more stable financially and statistics prove married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Do you really need roadside assistance? – There are quite a few additional coverages that you can buy if you aren’t careful. Insurance for vanishing deductibles, high-cost glass coverage, and membership fees are some examples. You may think they are a good idea when discussing your needs, but if you’ve never needed them in the past get rid of them and save.
- Save money with high credit – A driver’s credit score factor in calculating your auto insurance rates. Consumers who have high credit ratings tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims as compared to drivers with bad credit. Therefore, if your credit history can use some improvement, you could pay less to insure your Honda Clarity by spending a little time repairing your credit.
- Careless drivers pay higher premiums – Whether or not you get tickets impacts premiums far more than you think. Drivers with clean records get better prices compared to drivers with tickets. Getting just one ticket can increase rates to the point where it’s not affordable. Drivers who get license-revoking violations such as DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions may find that they have to to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state DMV in order to drive a vehicle legally.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
Some companies don’t list every discount available very well, so the following list contains some of the best known and also the more inconspicuous discounts that may be available.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems help deter theft and that can save you a little bit as well.
- Senior Citizen Rates – If you’re over the age of 55, you can get reduced rates.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles with factory air bags can get savings of 20% or more.
- Driver Training Discounts – Passing a safe driver class can save you 5% or more depending on where you live.
- Safe Drivers – Drivers without accidents can save up to 40% or more on their San Antonio car insurance quote than drivers with accidents.
- Organization Discounts – Being a member of specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations could earn you a nice discount on your policy.
- Life Insurance – Select companies reward you with a lower insurance rate if you buy some life insurance too.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Drivers who insure multiple vehicles on one policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- No Charge for an Accident – Not a discount per se, but some insurance companies allow you one accident before hitting you with a surcharge as long as you don’t have any claims for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to buckle up can save 10% or more on medical payment and PIP coverage.
As is typical with insurance, most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So even though you would think it’s possible to get free car insurance, nobody gets a free ride. But any discount should definitely cut the cost of your policy.
Companies and their offered discounts are:
- State Farm discounts include passive restraint, safe vehicle, driver’s education, anti-theft, and defensive driving training.
- American Family has discounts for bundled insurance, Steer into Savings, good student, TimeAway discount, and air bags.
- AAA offers premium reductions for anti-theft, pay-in-full, good student, education and occupation, and AAA membership discount.
- GEICO has savings for multi-policy, military active duty, daytime running lights, multi-vehicle, air bags, anti-lock brakes, and defensive driver.
- Mercury Insurance may offer discounts for low natural disaster claims, location of vehicle, professional/association, ease of repair, accident-free, good driver, and age of vehicle.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts for switch companies, bundle discounts, youthful driver, distant student, alternative fuel, pay in full, and early shopping.
- Progressive may have discounts that include homeowner, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, continuous coverage, and online signing.
If you need inexpensive San Antonio car insurance quotes, ask every prospective company to give you their best rates. Some credits might not be offered on policies in San Antonio.
You can lower your insurance rates
We’ve covered a lot of tips how to get a better price on Honda Clarity insurance in San Antonio. The key thing to remember is the more rate quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting affordable San Antonio car insurance quotes. You may even discover the biggest savings come from a smaller regional carrier.
When you buy San Antonio car insurance online, don’t be tempted to reduce coverage to reduce premium. Too many times, consumers will sacrifice liability coverage limits and found out when filing a claim that the savings was not a smart move. Your focus should be to buy enough coverage at an affordable rate but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Insureds change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as policy non-renewal, delays in responding to claim requests, poor customer service and unfair underwriting practices. Regardless of your reason, switching companies is less work than it seems.
Much more information about insurance in Texas can be read on the following sites:
- Electronic Stability Control FAQ (iihs.org)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Teenage Females in San Antonio? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for Real Estate Agents in San Antonio? (FAQ)
- How Much is Car Insurance for Police Officers in San Antonio? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Hyundai Sonata in San Antonio? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for a Toyota Camry in San Antonio? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for a Ford F-150 in San Antonio? (FAQ)
- Choosing an Insurance Company (Insurance Information Institute)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)