Online rate comparisons for affordable San Antonio car insurance can seem complicated if you have never taken advantage of online auto insurance quotes. But keep reading because finding affordable coverage is easier than you think.
It’s safe to assume that car insurance companies don’t want you to look for a cheaper policy. Consumers who shop for lower prices will most likely buy a new policy because there is a good probability of finding lower prices. A survey found that people who compared prices once a year saved an average of $3,500 over four years compared to policyholders who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If saving money on car insurance is your target objective, then learning about how to choose a company and compare insurance premiums can save time, money, and frustration.
The purpose of this article is to let you in on the best ways to compare prices and some money-saving tips. If you’re already insured, you will surely be able to lower your rates using the tips covered below. Although Texas car owners should learn the methods companies use to determine premium rates and apply this information to your search.
How your San Antonio prices are determined
Many factors are part of the equation when premium rates are determined. Most are fairly basic such as traffic violations, although others are less apparent such as your credit history or how financially stable you are.
The list below includes some of the factors that factor into rates.
- GPS tracking and theft deterrents lower prices – Purchasing a vehicle with an alarm system can help lower your rates. Theft deterrent systems such as OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms all hinder vehicle theft.
- Get hitched and pay less – Walking down the aisle can actually save you money on your policy. Marriage demonstrates that you tend to be less irresponsible and insurance companies reward insureds because drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Premiums go up with performance – The type of vehicle you need to insure makes a significant difference in how high your rates are. Lower cost passenger cars generally have the cheapest insurance rates, but that’s not the only thing that factors into the final price.
- Gals pay lower rates – Over the last 30 years, statistics show that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. It does not mean men are worse drivers. Both sexes are in at-fault accidents in similar percentages, but the males tend to have higher claims. In addition to higher claims, males also receive more major tickets like driving under the influence (DUI). Males from age 16 to 21 generally have the highest accident percentage and are penalized with high auto insurance rates.
- Pay more if you have a long commute – Residing in areas with lower population is a good thing when buying auto insurance. Less people living in that area means a lower chance of having an accident and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. Residents of big cities regularly have more road rage incidents and more severe claims. More time behind the wheel statistically corresponds to a higher accident and claim rate.
- How much liability coverage – Liability coverage will afford coverage if a court rules you are at fault for damages from an accident. Your liability coverage provides you with a defense in court which can be incredibly expensive. This coverage is very inexpensive when compared with rates for comp and collision, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
- Safer occupants lowers auto insurance rates – Cars with high safety ratings tend to have lower insurance rates. Safe vehicles result in less severe injuries and better occupant protection means your insurance company pays less passed on to you as lower rates. If your vehicle has at least four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org it is probably cheaper to insure.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LS 2WD||$1,456||$728||$121|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Regular Cab 2WD||$1,426||$713||$119|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab TRX 4WD||$1,704||$852||$142|
|Ford Escape XLT 4WD||$1,264||$632||$105|
|Ford F-150 FX4 Super Cab 4WD||$1,490||$745||$124|
|Ford Focus S 4-Dr Sedan||$1,422||$711||$119|
|Honda Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,636||$818||$136|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$1,230||$615||$103|
|Honda Civic SI 2-Dr Coupe||$1,928||$964||$161|
|Hyundai Sonata SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,636||$818||$136|
|Kia Optima EX||$1,670||$835||$139|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 2-Dr Coupe||$1,758||$879||$147|
|Nissan Rogue SL 2WD||$1,548||$774||$129|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$1,670||$835||$139|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,544||$772||$129|
|Get Rate Quotes for Your Vehicle Go|
Data assumes single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, multi-policy, homeowner, claim-free, and safe-driver. Rate quotes do not factor in vehicle location which can decrease or increase coverage prices substantially.
Discount San Antonio insurance rates
Insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but discounts can save money and there are some available that you may not know about. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied at the time of purchase, but some may not be applied and must be inquired about prior to getting the savings.
- Include Life Insurance and Save – Insurance companies who offer life insurance give a lower rate if you buy some life insurance too.
- Cautious Drivers – Drivers without accidents may receive a discount up to 45% as compared to drivers with claims.
- ABS Brakes – Cars with ABS and/or traction control can reduce accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Discounts for Federal Employees – Simply working for the federal government may qualify for a discount when you quote San Antonio car insurance but check with your company.
- College Student Discount – Older children who are enrolled in higher education away from home and do not take a car to college can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Multiple Policy Discount – When you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you will save 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Paperless Signup – Certain companies will give a small break just for signing your application on the web.
- Full Payment Discount – By making one initial payment instead of making monthly payments you can actually save on your bill.
Discounts save money, but please remember that most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. Most only cut specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. So despite the fact that it appears you can get free auto insurance, that’s just not realistic.
Large insurance companies and some of the discounts are shown below.
- GEICO discounts include membership and employees, anti-theft, seat belt use, multi-policy, and federal employee.
- USAA may have discounts that include new vehicle, multi-vehicle, defensive driver, safe driver, annual mileage, driver training, and loyalty savings.
- Progressive includes discounts for multi-policy, online signing, good student, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, homeowner, and continuous coverage.
- American Family may include discounts for defensive driver, TimeAway discount, mySafetyValet, bundled insurance, early bird, and air bags.
- Esurance offers discounts including paid-in-full, Switch & Save, safety device, online quote, emergency road assistance, and anti-lock brakes.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts for switch companies, distant student, early shopping, bundle discounts, and business and professional.
- State Farm has discounts for accident-free, driver’s education, passive restraint, multiple autos, anti-theft, and safe vehicle.
Check with all the companies which discounts you qualify for. Some discounts might not be available to policyholders everywhere. If you would like to see a list of providers that offer the discounts shown above in San Antonio, click here to view.
Affordable insurance premiums are out there
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s a bad idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are a lot of situations where an insured dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits to discover at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your goal should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best price, but do not skimp to save money.
Consumers switch companies for a number of reasons such as policy non-renewal, unfair underwriting practices, an unsatisfactory settlement offer and even delays in paying claims. Whatever your reason, finding a new insurance company is less work than it seems.
Budget-conscious insurance is attainable both online and from local insurance agents, so you need to shop San Antonio car insurance with both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers don’t offer rate quotes online and most of the time these smaller companies only sell coverage through independent agents.
- What if I Can’t Find Coverage? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers Over Age 60 in San Antonio? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap San Antonio Auto Insurance for Safe Drivers? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Teenage Females in San Antonio? (FAQ)
- How Much are San Antonio Car Insurance Rates for High Mileage Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for a Subaru Outback in San Antonio? (FAQ)
- Bodily Injury Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Cellphones, Texting and Driving (iihs.org)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)