No normal person likes buying car insurance, in particular when they could lower their rates if they shopped around.
It’s an obvious conclusion that auto insurance companies don’t want customers comparing rates. Drivers who get price comparisons are very likely to buy a new policy because they have good chances of finding coverage at a cheaper rate. Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that people who compared rates once a year saved $865 a year compared to drivers who never compared rates.
If saving money on auto insurance is your ultimate objective, then learning a little about how to quote and compare car insurance can help you succeed in saving money.
Companies like State Farm and GEICO all claim big savings with fancy advertisements and it is challenging if not impossible to separate fact from fiction and take the time to shop coverage around.
If you have coverage now, you will most likely be able to get lower rates using the following tips. Locating the most cost-effective car insurance policy in San Antonio can really be easy if you know what you’re doing. Although Texas car owners must know how the larger insurance companies sell insurance online and apply this information to your search.
Cheap companies for Honda CR-Z insurance in Texas
The companies shown below can provide price quotes in Texas. If multiple companies are listed, it’s a good idea that you visit as many as you can to find the most affordable car insurance rates.
Cheaper rates on Honda CR-Z insurance in San Antonio with these nine discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but you may qualify for discounts that you may not even know about. Some trigger automatically when you purchase, but some may not be applied and must be specially asked for in order for you to get them.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Cars and trucks with anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Safe Drivers – Accident-free drivers can save up to 40% or more on their San Antonio car insurance quote as compared to drivers with claims.
- Passive Restraints – Factory options such as air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may earn rate discounts up to 30%.
- Government Employee Discount – Being employed by or retired from a federal job could qualify for a slight premium decrease depending on your company.
- Save over 55 – If you’re over the age of 55, you may qualify for reduced rates.
- Smart Student Discounts – This discount can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. The discount lasts well after school through age 25.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with ABS or steering control are safer to drive so you can save 10 percent or more.
- Distant Student Discount – Any of your kids who attend college more than 100 miles from San Antonio and won’t have access to an insured vehicle could get you a discount.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking a course teaching driver safety skills could possibly earn you a 5% discount and also improve your driving technique.
As a footnote on discounts, many deductions do not apply to the whole policy. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. So when the math indicates adding up those discounts means a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
A few of the larger companies and a partial list of their discounts are detailed below.
- State Farm may include discounts for good driver, accident-free, passive restraint, Drive Safe & Save, and good student.
- GEICO offers discounts for good student, anti-lock brakes, multi-policy, air bags, emergency military deployment, daytime running lights, and membership and employees.
- Progressive includes discounts for multi-vehicle, homeowner, online quote discount, good student, and multi-policy.
- 21st Century may have discounts that include 55 and older, automatic seat belts, good student, student driver, early bird, and homeowners.
- American Family has discounts for defensive driver, good driver, bundled insurance, accident-free, TimeAway discount, early bird, and good student.
- The Hartford offers premium reductions for good student, air bag, driver training, defensive driver, bundle, anti-theft, and vehicle fuel type.
- AAA has savings for multi-policy, AAA membership discount, good student, multi-car, pay-in-full, education and occupation, and anti-theft.
Double check with every insurance company which discounts can lower your rates. Some discounts listed above may not be available in San Antonio. To find insurance companies who offer free Honda CR-Z insurance quotes in San Antonio, click this link.
When in doubt talk to an agent
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing coverage online or from an agent, there is no best way to insure your cars. Your financial needs are unique so this has to be addressed. These are some specific questions might help in determining whether your personal situation may require specific advice.
- Can I get by with minimal medical coverage if I have good health insurance?
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- Am I covered if my car is in a flood?
- I have a DUI can I still get coverage?
- Can I make deliveries for my home business?
- Will my insurance pay for OEM parts?
- Do all my vehicles need collision coverage?
- Is my teen driver covered when they drive my company car?
- Is my teenager covered with friends in the car?
- How can I find cheaper teen driver insurance?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Local San Antonio auto insurance agents
A small number of people prefer to sit down with an agent and that is OK! One of the benefits of comparing rates online is you may find cheap rate quotes but still work with a licensed agent.
For easy comparison, once you complete this simple form, your insurance coverage information is emailed to local insurance agents that provide free San Antonio car insurance quotes for your business. You never need to search for an agent since rate quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. You’ll get the best rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If you need to compare rates from a particular provider, don’t hesitate to search and find their rate quote page and fill out their quote form.
Finding the right company is decision based upon more than just the bottom line cost. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
- How experienced are they in personal risk management?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Is the agency covered by Errors and Omissions coverage?
If you want to buy auto insurance from an insurance agent, it’s helpful to know the types of agencies and how they can service your needs differently. San Antonio agents are categorized either independent or exclusive.
These type of agents can usually just insure with one company and some examples include AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. Exclusive agencies are unable to provide other company’s prices so they have no alternatives for high prices. These agents are well schooled on what they offer which helps them sell on service rather than price.
Shown below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in San Antonio who can help you get price quote information.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agents are not restricted to one company so they have the ability to put coverage with multiple insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If they quote lower rates, the agent simply finds a different carrier which is easy for the insured.
If you need lower rates, you definitely need to get insurance quotes from multiple independent agents to have the most options to choose from.
Listed below are independent agencies in San Antonio willing to provide rate quotes.
Garcia Insurance Agency
1255 SW Military Dr – San Antonio, TX 78221 – (210) 593-8935 – View Map
If you get positive feedback to any questions you have and an acceptable price quote, you’ve probably found an insurance agent that can service your policy. Just keep in mind once you purchase a policy you can cancel coverage whenever you choose to so never assume that you’re stuck with your new company for a certain time period.
Specific coverage details
Knowing the specifics of insurance helps when choosing the best coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. These are typical coverages found on the average insurance policy.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) – Med pay and PIP coverage provide coverage for bills like EMT expenses, doctor visits, hospital visits, chiropractic care and dental work. The coverages can be used in conjunction with a health insurance plan or if there is no health insurance coverage. It covers not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants in addition to any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is not universally available and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Comprehensive insurance – Comprehensive insurance pays for damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. A deductible will apply and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things like rock chips in glass, damage from getting keyed and hail damage. The maximum payout you’ll receive from a claim is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle’s value is low it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Collision – This coverage covers damage to your CR-Z caused by collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You will need to pay your deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage protects against claims like sustaining damage from a pot hole, colliding with a tree, crashing into a building, hitting a parking meter and colliding with another moving vehicle. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider removing coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Another option is to increase the deductible on your CR-Z to bring the cost down.
Liability – Liability coverage provides protection from injuries or damage you cause to other people or property by causing an accident. Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You commonly see values of 30/60/25 that means you have $30,000 bodily injury coverage, a limit of $60,000 in injury protection per accident, and $25,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability insurance covers claims such as emergency aid, repair bills for other people’s vehicles, court costs, legal defense fees and pain and suffering. How much liability should you purchase? That is a decision to put some thought into, but you should buy as much as you can afford. Texas state law requires minimum liability limits of 30/60/25 but it’s recommended drivers buy higher limits.
The illustration below shows why buying minimum limits may not be enough coverage.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) – Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle when other motorists are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. It can pay for injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your Honda CR-Z.
Because many people only carry the minimum required liability limits (30/60/25 in Texas), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is a good idea.
Quote. Compare. Save.
When shopping online for auto insurance, it’s not a good idea to reduce needed coverages to save money. There are too many instances where consumers will sacrifice liability coverage limits to discover at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your objective should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the best price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Low-cost Honda CR-Z insurance in San Antonio can be found both online in addition to local insurance agencies, so you should compare both to have the best selection. Some auto insurance companies may not offer the ability to get quotes online and these regional insurance providers prefer to sell through independent agents.
Even more information is located at these sites:
- Learn About Car Insurance (GEICO)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Felons in San Antonio? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap San Antonio Car Insurance for Retired Military? (FAQ)
- All About Airbag Safety (State Farm)
- What to do at the Scene of an Accident (Insurance Information Institute)