How long has it been since you shopped around for cheaper Dodge Stratus insurance in San Antonio? Being forced to pay for high-priced auto insurance premiums can stress out your funds and force you to make sacrifices. Comparing price quotes is a smart way to lower your bills every month.
It's safe to assume that auto insurance companies don't want their customers to go rate shopping. People who shop around for cheaper rates are very likely to switch companies because of the good chance of finding a policy with better rates. A recent auto insurance study discovered that people who shopped around every year saved over $72 a month as compared to drivers who didn't regularly shop around.
If finding budget-friendly Dodge Stratus insurance is your objective, then having some knowledge of how to choose a company and compare auto insurance can save time and money. Multiple auto insurance companies compete for your insurance dollar, and because of this it can be hard to compare auto insurance companies to find the cheapest price on Dodge Stratus insurance in San Antonio.
Learn How to Buy Car Insurance at a Discount
When buying car insurance it's important to understand the factors that go into determining your car insurance rates. If you understand what determines base rates, this enables informed choices that can help you get big savings. Many factors are taken into consideration when you get a price on insurance. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving record, but other factors are more obscure like your vehicle usage or how safe your car is.
- Car plus home equals more savings - Most major companies afford lower prices to customers that have more than one policy. It's known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you qualify for this discount already, it's in your best interest to get quotes from other companies to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
- Tickets can increase prices - Whether or not you get tickets impacts premiums far more than you think. Having just one speeding ticket or other violation can increase rates forty percent or more. Good drivers receive lower rates as compared to careless drivers. Drivers who have received multiple citations such as hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may be required to prove financial responsibility to the state department of motor vehicles in order to continue driving.
- A policy lapse can increase prices - Going without insurance is a fast way to increase your rates. And not only will your rates increase, the inability to provide proof of insurance may result in a fine, jail time, or a revoked license.
- Do you have a tough occupation? - Did you know your job can affect your rates? Occupations like military personnel, social workers, and miners generally pay the highest rates in part from intense work situations and extremely grueling work hours. Other occupations like actors, athletes and homemakers generally pay rates lower than average.
- Annual miles is a factor - The more you drive every year the more you'll pay to insure your vehicle. Most insurance companies charge to insure your cars based on their usage. Vehicles that do not get driven very much receive lower rates than cars that get driven a lot. An improperly rated Stratus may be costing you. Ask your agent if your car insurance coverage states the proper vehicle usage.
- Liability coverage limits on your policy - Your policy's liability coverage will protect you in the event that you are found to be at fault for damages caused by your negligence. Liability insurance provides for a legal defense to defend your case. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to other policy coverages, so do not cut corners here.
- Only buy extra coverages you need - Policies have optional add-on coverages you can purchase when buying car insurance. Things like coverage for rental cars, better glass coverage, and extra equipment coverage may be costing you every month. They may sound like good ideas initially, but if you don't need them think about removing them and cutting costs.
- High performance equals high rates - The performance level of the car, truck or SUV you need insurance for makes a significant difference in how high your rates are. Lower cost passenger models generally receive the lowest base rates, but that's not the only thing that factors into the final price.
The providers in the list below provide price comparisons in San Antonio, TX. If multiple companies are shown, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to get a more complete price comparison.
Protect more than your vehicle
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a Dodge in San Antonio, buying car insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- Most states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to buy a minimum amount of liability protection in order to license the vehicle. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Dodge Stratus with a loan, it's guaranteed your bank will make it a condition of the loan that you buy insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Dodge at a significantly higher premium and force you to reimburse them the higher premium.
- Car insurance preserves not only your car but also your financial assets. It will also cover all forms of medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers legal expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, your policy will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of insuring your car outweigh the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver overpays more than $700 annually so it's recommended you shop around every year to make sure the price is not too high.
San Antonio insurance discounts for a Dodge Stratus
Companies that sell car insurance don't always publicize the entire discount list very clearly, so the below list has a few of the more common and the more hidden credits that may apply to you. If you don't get every credit you qualify for, you could be getting lower rates.
- Student Discounts - Excelling in school can earn a discount of 20% or more. The good student discount can last until age 25.
- Passenger Safety Discount - Vehicles equipped with air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may get savings as much as 30%.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles - Buying insurance for multiple cars on a single policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Federal Government Employee - Federal government employees could cut as much as 10% off but check with your company.
- Good Drivers - Safe drivers can save as much as half off their rates than drivers with accident claims.
- Low Miles Discount - Keeping the miles down on your Dodge may allow you to get lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Distant Student Discount - Any of your kids who are enrolled in higher education away from home and leave their car at home could qualify for this discount.
One last thing about discounts, most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. Just because it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, you won't be that lucky.
If you would like to choose from a list of providers that have a full spectrum of discounts in San Antonio, click here to view.
Can't I get rate quotes from local San Antonio insurance agents?
Many people would prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that can be a great decision Professional agents are trained risk managers and give you someone to call. A nice benefit of comparing insurance online is that you can obtain lower rates and still have an agent to talk to.
After filling out this quick form, the coverage information is transmitted to local insurance agents who will give you quotes to get your business. You won't need to search for an agent as quotes are delivered to the email address you provide. If you have a need to compare rates for a specific company, you can always navigate to their website and give them your coverage information.
Choosing an insurance company is decision based upon more than just the bottom line cost. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- What kind of financial rating does the company have?
- Will they take your side in the event of a claim?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
Lower rates by being persistent
The cheapest Dodge Stratus insurance in San Antonio is available both online and with local San Antonio insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers do not provide rate quotes online and usually these regional carriers only sell coverage through independent insurance agencies.
We covered a lot of techniques to compare Dodge Stratus insurance auto insurance rates in San Antonio. The most important thing to understand is the more companies you get premium rates for, the better your comparison will be. Consumers could even find that the best auto insurance rates are with some of the smallest insurance companies. They may only write in your state and offer lower premium rates than their larger competitors like State Farm or Progressive.
When buying insurance coverage, you should never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many cases, an insured dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to discover later that they should have had better coverage. Your strategy should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best price while still protecting your assets.
- Understanding your Policy (NAIC.org)
- Who Has Affordable San Antonio Auto Insurance for Unemployed Drivers? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Nissan Versa in San Antonio? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for College Students in San Antonio? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable San Antonio Car Insurance Rates for a Jeep Grand Cherokee? (FAQ)
- Coverage Information (Progressive Insurance)
- Things to Know Before you Cancel Insurance (Allstate)
- Cellphones, Texting and Driving (iihs.org)