How long has it been since you shopped around for the cheapest Saturn Sky insurance in San Antonio? No one likes paying for auto insurance, especially knowing they could get a better deal.
It's safe to assume that auto insurance companies don't want you to compare rates. Consumers who compare other prices will probably switch to a new company because there is a high probability of finding a lower-priced company. A recent survey revealed that people who made a habit of comparing rate quotes saved about $860 a year compared to other drivers who didn't regularly shop around.
If finding the cheapest rates on car insurance in San Antonio is your objective, then knowing how to shop and compare auto insurance can save time and money. Companies like GEICO, Farmers Insurance and State Farm persitently shower you with advertising and consumers find it hard to see through the deception and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
It's important to shop coverage around quite often because auto insurance prices go up and down regularly. Just because you had the best deal on Saturn Sky insurance in San Antonio a couple years back you will most likely find a better rate today. Don't believe everything you read about Sky insurance online but in just a couple of minutes you can learn some tested techniques to buy auto insurance cheaper in San Antonio.
Smart Consumers Can Lower Their Insurance Rates
One of the most helpful ways to save on car insurance is to to have a grasp of a few of the rating criteria that go into determining your policy premiums. If you have a feel for what impacts premium levels, this helps enable you to make changes that can earn you big savings. Many factors are part of the equation when you get a price on insurance. A few of the factors are predictable like an MVR report, although some other factors are more obscure like where you live or your vehicle rating.
The itemized list below are some of the most common factors utilized by car insurance companies to help set premiums.
Drive a fast car and pay more - The type of car you drive makes a huge difference in your premium level. Small economy passenger models normally have pretty low rates, but many other things help determine your insurance rates.
Premiums drop with age - Beginning drivers in Texas tend to get distracted easily behind the wheel so they pay higher car insurance rates. Having to add a teen driver to your car insurance policy can be very expensive. Older people are shown to be more cautious, cost insurance companies less in claims, and are generally more financially stable.
Gals tend to be lower risk - Over the last 30 years, statistics show that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. That doesn't necessarily mean that women are better drivers. Men and women cause accidents in similar numbers, but the male of the species have costlier accidents. Men also tend to get higher numbers of serious violations like DUI and reckless driving.
Where you live factors in - Choosing to live in less populated areas is a good thing when talking about car insurance. Fewer drivers and short commutes means a lower chance of having an accident and lower theft and vandalism rates. People in densely populated areas regularly have much more traffic and higher rates of accident claims. More time behind the wheel translates into higher accident risk.
Allowing your car insurance policy to lapse raises rates - Going without insurance is a sure-fire way to increase your rates. Not only will you pay higher rates, getting caught without coverage could earn you a revoked license or a big fine.
Cheaper rates by taking advantage of discounts
Car insurance companies don't always advertise all possible discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we researched a few of the more common and also the lesser-known credits available to lower your premiums when you buy San Antonio auto insurance online. If they aren't giving you every credit available, it's possible you qualify for a lower rate.
- Senior Citizen Rates - Seniors could receive a discount up to 10%.
- Pay Now and Pay Less - If you pay your bill all at once rather than paying monthly you could save 5% or more.
- Good Grades Discount - Getting good grades can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. Most companies allow this discount up until you turn 25.
- Multi-car Discount - Buying coverage for several vehicles on the same car insurance policy qualifies for this discount.
- Theft Deterrent Discount - Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices prevent vehicle theft so companies will give you a small discount.
- Distant Student Discount - College-age children who attend college more than 100 miles from San Antonio and won't have access to an insured vehicle could get you a discount.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags - Vehicles equipped with air bags may earn rate discounts of 25 to 30%.
As a footnote on discounts, most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. Just because you may think all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies wouldn't make money that way.
A list of car insurance companies and the discounts they provide are included below.
- GEICO may have discounts that include daytime running lights, defensive driver, good student, seat belt use, and multi-policy.
- SAFECO offers premium reductions for homeowner, drive less, safe driver, teen safety rewards, accident prevention training, bundle discounts, and anti-theft.
- State Farm includes discounts for safe vehicle, accident-free, defensive driving training, anti-theft, Drive Safe & Save, passive restraint, and student away at school.
- MetLife offers discounts for multi-policy, good driver, good student, defensive driver, and claim-free.
- 21st Century discounts include air bags, early bird, driver training, automatic seat belts, and good student.
- Progressive may include discounts for multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, online signing, multi-policy, and online quote discount.
When comparing rates, check with every company which discounts you qualify for. Discounts may not apply to policyholders in San Antonio. To choose car insurance companies that provide some of the discounts listed above in San Antonio, click this link.
Smart consumers save more
As you restructure your insurance plan, don't be tempted to reduce needed coverages to save money. In too many instances, consumers will sacrifice comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret they didn't have enough coverage. Your aim should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the best possible price, not the least amount of coverage.
Some companies may not offer internet price quotes and usually these small insurance companies only sell through local independent agencies. The cheapest Saturn Sky insurance in San Antonio is definitely available both online as well as from insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money.
Drivers switch companies for a number of reasons such as unfair underwriting practices, delays in responding to claim requests, denial of a claim and even poor customer service. It doesn't matter what your reason, finding a new company can be pretty painless.
Much more information about insurance in Texas can be read on the following sites:
- Auto Insurance FAQ (Farmers Insurance)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Nissan Versa in San Antonio? (FAQ)
- How Much are San Antonio Auto Insurance Quotes for Teachers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable San Antonio Car Insurance Rates for Drivers with Accidents? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for Uninsured Drivers in San Antonio? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for Low Credit Scores in San Antonio? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for 16 Year Olds in San Antonio? (FAQ)
- Anti-Lock Brake FAQ (iihs.org)
- Smart Auto Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)
- Red Light Cameras (State Farm)