Trying to find low-cost insurance for a Chevy Bolt EV in Texas can turn out to be difficult, but you can follow the following methods to save time. There is a right way and a wrong way to find auto insurance online and you need to know the absolute fastest way to compare rates on a Chevy and get the best price possible.
Getting a cheaper price on insurance is not rocket science. You just have to spend a little time to get quotes from different insurance companies.
The car insurance companies shown below are our best choices to provide free quotes in San Antonio, TX. If multiple companies are shown, it’s highly recommended you visit several of them to get the best price comparison.
Why you need Bolt EV insurance in Texas
Despite the high cost, maintaining insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- The majority of states have minimum liability requirements which means state laws require a minimum amount of liability protection in order to drive the car legally. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Chevy has a lienholder, it’s most likely the lender will require that you buy insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the bank may buy a policy for your Chevy at a much higher premium rate and make you pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards your Chevy Bolt EV and your assets. It will also provide coverage for hospital and medical expenses incurred in an accident. Liability coverage will also pay for a defense attorney if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of buying car insurance are definitely more than the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. The average driver in Texas is overpaying over $865 each year so you should quote rates every year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Why Your Insurance Rates might be higher
When buying car insurance it’s important to understand a few of the rating criteria that go into determining your car insurance rates. If you have a feel for what determines base rates, this helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with better car insurance rates.
The items below are a partial list of the pieces used by companies to determine your rate level.
Safer the car lower the rate – Vehicles with good safety scores cost less to insure. Safer cars reduce the chance of injuries and any reduction in injury severity means less money paid by your insurance company and thus lower rates. If your Chevy Bolt EV earned at least an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website it may cost less to insure.
Advanced alarm systems – Owning a car with an alarm system can help lower your rates. Advanced theft deterrents such as OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms help track and prevent car theft.
Your location is a factor – Choosing to live in a small town has it’s advantages when buying car insurance. People who live in big cities have to deal with more road rage incidents and more severe claims. Fewer people translates into fewer accident claims in addition to fewer liability claims.
Driving citations cost more than a fine – Drivers with clean records get better rates than bad drivers. Even one driving citation can bump up the cost by as much as twenty percent. Drivers who have received careless tickets like DUI or reckless driving may face state-mandated requirements to submit a SR-22 form with their state’s licensing department in order to keep their license.
Don’t skimp on liability insurance – The liability section of your policy will protect you in the event that a court rules you are at fault for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. It will provide legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. Liability is cheap compared to comp and collision, so drivers should carry high limits.
Pleasure use or commuting – The more miles you rack up on your Chevy in a year the higher the price you pay to insure it. Most insurance companies charge rates based on their usage. Autos used primarily for pleasure use receive better premium rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Double check that your declarations sheet is showing the correct usage, because it can save money. Incorrect rating for your Bolt EV is throwing money out the window.
Married people drive safer – Having a significant other may earn you lower rates compared to being single. Having a spouse translates into being less irresponsible and statistics show married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
The type of vehicle makes a difference – The performance level of the vehicle you own makes a huge difference in your auto insurance rates. The lowest rates will generally be found on lower cost passenger cars, but that’s not the only thing that factors into the final price.
Verify you’re earning every discount
Not too many consumers would say insurance is affordable, but companies offer discounts that can dramatically reduce your bill. Many discounts should be triggered at the time of purchase, but a few need to be manually applied prior to receiving the credit.
- Defensive Driving Course – Passing a course in driver safety may get you a small discount if you qualify.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars and trucks that have steering control and anti-lock brakes prevent accidents so you can save 10 percent or more.
- Driver’s Education for Students – It’s a good idea to have your young drivers take driver’s ed class if it’s offered in school.
- Telematics Data Discounts – Policyholders that allow their company to spy on vehicle usage by installing a telematics device such as Progressive’s Snapshot may get a rate reduction if they show good driving skills.
- No Accidents – Claim-free drivers pay much less in comparison with bad drivers.
One last thing about discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Despite the fact that it seems like you can get free auto insurance, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business. But all discounts will positively reduce your overall bill.
To find insurance companies who offer discounts in Texas, click here.
Local agents and insurance
Certain consumers would prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and that can be a great decision Professional agents can help you choose the best coverages and will help you if you have claims. One of the best bonuses of getting online price quotes is that you can obtain the lowest rates and also buy local.
For easy comparison, once you complete this short form, the coverage information is submitted to agents in your area who will gladly provide quotes for your business. You won’t even need to find an agent on your own as quotes are delivered directly to your email. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance company, you just need to jump over to their website and submit a quote form there.
Selecting an provider should include more criteria than just the bottom line cost. These questions are important to ask:
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in Texas?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- How many companies do they write for?
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
When narrowing the list to find a reliable insurance agent, you should know the types of agencies and how they can service your needs differently. Insurance agents in San Antonio may be either independent agents or exclusive agents. Both can provide insurance policies, but it’s important to know the difference in the companies they write for because it can impact buying decisions.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type can only provide pricing for a single company like AAA, Allstate, and State Farm. Exclusive agencies are unable to compare other company’s rates so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agents are well schooled on the products they sell which helps them compete with independent agents. Some consumers prefer to buy from the same agent for years mostly because of high brand loyalty rather than low price.
The following are exclusive agencies in San Antonio who may provide you with price quote information.
- Mike Smith – State Farm Insurance Agent
14802 Jones Maltsberger Rd #201 – San Antonio, TX 78247 – (210) 251-3657 – View Map
- Kellie Moore – State Farm Insurance Agent
10103 TX-1604 Loop #102 – San Antonio, TX 78254 – (210) 688-7707 – View Map
- Enrique Enriquez – State Farm Insurance Agent
8359 Perrin Beitel Rd – San Antonio, TX 78218 – (210) 967-8669 – View Map
Independent insurance agents are not employed by one company so they can quote policies through many companies and get you the best rates possible. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your policy is moved internally and that require little work on your part. If you need lower rates, we highly recommend that you get some free quotes from several independent insurance agents to have the most options to choose from. Most also write with additional companies that you may not be familiar with that many times have cheaper rates.
The following is a short list of independent agents in San Antonio that are able to give price quotes.
- Atlas Insurance Agency,Inc
1954 SW Military Dr – San Antonio, TX 78221 – (210) 927-2277 – View Map
- Legion Insurance Agency
5309 Wurzbach Rd – San Antonio, TX 78230 – (210) 693-1501 – View Map
- Bapodra Insurance Agency, Inc
8607 Wurzbach Rd #101 – San Antonio, TX 78240 – (210) 696-1133 – View Map
Get the best coverage at the lowest price
While you’re price shopping online, it’s very important that you do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. In many cases, drivers have reduced full coverage and discovered at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your focus should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the best possible price while not skimping on critical coverages.
Cost effective Chevy Bolt EV insurance is available online and also from your neighborhood San Antonio agents, and you should be comparing both so you have a total pricing picture. Some car insurance companies may not provide online price quotes and many times these small, regional companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
Insureds change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including high rates after DUI convictions, high prices, an unsatisfactory settlement offer and even lack of trust in their agent. Whatever your reason, finding a new company is not as hard as you think.
To read more, link through to the articles below:
- Safety Tips for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Young Drivers in San Antonio? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for a Ford Fusion in San Antonio? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for a Learners Permit in San Antonio? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for a Toyota Camry in San Antonio? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for 16 Year Olds in San Antonio? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable San Antonio Auto Insurance Rates for a Toyota RAV4? (FAQ)
- Senior Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Auto Insurance 101 (About.com)
- Top Signs Your Brakes are Giving Out (State Farm)
- Insuring a Leased Car (Insurance Information Institute)